Clean Streets Team Member
The job description is below. If you are interested, submit your resume at email@example.com or contact us at (209) 303-0411 for more information.
This position is responsible for ensuring that downtown employees, visitors and residents have an enjoyable experience. Team members will keep the downtown district free of stains, litter, graffiti and odors. Both day and night shifts are available; must be flexible to work either shift.
- Good verbal communication skills
- Maintenance experience
- Clean driving record
- Able to operate various pieces of machinery
- Good knowledge of cleaning products and equipment
- Knowledge of downtown Modesto
- Knowledge of downtown retailers and services
- Operate cleaning equipment covering the entire Community Benefit District area, while maintaining a pleasant approachable demeanor
- Maintain a clean and neat uniform including jacket, pants, shirt, hat, gloves, boots/shoes and belt. Team members must be in the proper dress for current weather conditions
- Attend all mandatory in-service training and required meetings
- Accurately document all required forms of data collection
- Patrol (walk) on foot for an 8-hour shift, exposed to all weather elements (hot, cold, rain, sunshine)
- Team members must be able to bend and stoop through the shift
- Team members will be expected to navigate varied terrain including curbs, sidewalks, grass, uneven dirt/gravel etc.
- Be able to operate all equipment used by the Clean Streets Team
- Must be able to lift at least 80 pounds
Team members will spend the majority of the shift maintaining the downtown Modesto area. Team members will be exposed to various members of the public as well as workers from the public and the private sectors.
All applicants passing the interview stage of the application process will be subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Community Service Guide
This position patrols the downtown district acting as an information ambassador equipped with maps, two-way radios and cellular phones. He/she will act as the eyes and ears for police and local officials, and work in direct partnership with downtown merchants to keep an open line of communication between local agencies and the people they serve. The guide will educate the public on local and state laws and codes. He/she will provide guided tours exploring local history, architecture and culture.
- 35% Assist locals/tourists/customers with directions and information, handing out relevant brochures and maps and guiding walking tours
- 35% Eyes and ears for local agencies (i.e., police, fire, parking, etc.)
- Deter crime through presence and high visibility
- Advise the public of local city codes and ordinance
- As an expert witness, document all unusual activity (i.e., arrests, citations, medical calls, complaints and lost property)
- Assist merchants and property owners with calls for assistance
- Identify and seek solutions to blight and hazards
- Staff downtown events
Other duties as assigned
Required by the job applicants
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Knowledge of downtown landmarks
- Knowledge of downtown traffic grid
- Strong work ethic
Upon completion of training
- Proactively applying customer service skills
- Knowledge of downtown parking facilities
- Knowledge of transit routes and schedules
- Knowledge of downtown retailers and services
- Working knowledge of radio “9 codes,” phonetic alphabet and radio procedure
- Ability to write structured reports
- Understanding of the principals of verbal tactics
- Ability to document all activity on appropriate forms
- Maintain a pleasant approachable demeanor at all times. He/she will actively greet citizens while performing his/her patrol.
- Patrol an assigned area on foot. While on patrol, the guide will actively seek out individuals in need of assistance. He/she will assist and direct shoppers, downtown workers and visitors to their destinations within the Community Benefit District as well as answer questions and/or concerns they may have.
- Monitor assigned area for persons breaking city/state codes and laws. Guide will either report such individuals to the proper authorities or advise them of the statute that is being violated.
- Record and report all infrastructure hazards as well as instances of dilapidation or vandalism (i.e., graffiti, broken pedestrian lights, broken windows, etc.)
- Notify emergency medical services of those in need of medical attention
- Deliver various letters, packages, flyers and boxed items at the request of the Downtown Modesto Partnership’s administrative staff
- Know and follow all written policies and procedures as well as comply with all city/state codes and laws
- Maintain a clean and neat uniform including jacket, pants, shirt, hat, gloves, boots/shoes, and belt. He/she must dress appropriately for current weather conditions. Rain gear will be provided as part of the uniform. The incumbent will be well groomed (refer to policies and procedures).
- Incumbent will attend all mandatory in-service training
- Briefly contact all merchants within their beats to evaluate concerns that need to be addressed or brought to the attention of Downtown Modesto Partnership administrative staff or the City of Modesto. Such contacts are to be no more than IO minutes long unless more time is needed to document vital information. While on patrol, the guide will meet with co-workers to exchange work-related information or to assist in completing a call. Such contacts are to be kept to a minimum and to disperse as soon as it is safe to do so.
- May contact police officers and other civil servants to pass on work-related information and to assist them in their duties
- Actively greet citizens while performing his/her patrol
- Seek out homeless individuals and attempt to connect them with services
- Must be able to patrol (walk) on foot for an 8-hour shift exposed to all weather elements (hot, cold, rain, sunshine). Incumbent will be expected to navigate varied terrain including curbs, sidewalks, grass, uneven dirt and gravel, etc.
- Must be able to speak clearly
- Must be able to wear shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, ball cap and radio during the entire shift.
- Incumbent must be able to lift at least 80 pounds
- Will spend one-half hour a day in an office environment being briefed by a supervisor on the day’s work. The other 7.5 hours will be spent patrolling downtown Modesto. The guide will be exposed to various members of the public as well as workers from the public and private sectors.
- The guide will patrol regardless of weather conditions. The Downtown Modesto Partnership will provide rain gear.
Title of Person to Whom this Position Reports
This position reports directly to the shift supervisor.
High school degree
Customer service background a must
All applicants passing the interview stage of the application will be subject to a criminal background check
The guide must work well under pressure, meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines. He/she shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.